WORTH DYING FOR
- Most Memorial Days this is even forgotten the emphasis is often on the three day weekend.
- We are drawn to stories of heroism. The true stories are the best.
- Heroes of the military service arent the only heroes. (Movies: United 93 and World Trade Center)
- This morning we mentioned the Christians who died for the sake of the gospel ... Bowing down in the arena and praying for the Emperor that is an act of heroic faith that embodies trust in Christ.
- Too often overlooked, but the people of God have their share of heroes too.
The Cloud of Witnesses The World was not Worthy of Them:
- Biblical History (text & application) Read Hebrews 11 By Faith!
- Why does the preacher of Hebrews enter into this rousing recital of those dedicated souls who gave up so much for something they felt was worth dying for?
- Because he wants to remind them that faith IS worth dying for and these witnesses call them to that rather than to an apathetic lazy faith.
- They considered it worth dying for by faith. They witness to us showing us that we can live for what they died for. Their faith is made complete in us.
- The heroes of faith died and struggled for something yet to come
- We have that something what will we do? What do you think the heroes would want us to do?
- D. Bonhoeffer - When Jesus calls a man he bids him come and die! Jesus demands that we sacrifice our whole self to him!
- Jesus Christ is the only master worth dying for are you dedicated to him? Are you sold out on him? Consider him fix your eyes on him! Service to Christ is not just a matter for preachers, elders, deacons. If you have been baptized, then youre drafted enlisted charged! Get involved! Get dedicated! Theres a war going on after all.
- This is a call to dedicate yourself to something worth dying for. Dont let the world be worthy of you! - This is call away from dedication to things that are not worth dying for (but we often serve those masters so faithfully).
- [When Paul was unconcerned about the judgment of others and even his own self-judgment, he was expressing his dedication to the only master worth dying for (and he did die for that Lord)]
- Christ is worth the investment of your passion You can commit your whole self to Christ and his church
- This isnt a scold; it is a blessing. God has favored us. The reason we honor our soldiers is because they commit their whole lives to something something greater than themselves.
- Lets stop this nonsense that says that people especially young people wont dedicate their lives to something. People desire for their lives to count for something We just havent sounded Christs call in its full volume.
- Jim Elliot: He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.
- So close to home it doesnt seem as bold and grand maybe, but thats really how it is. The cloud of witness is made up of some of the humblest and ordinary people. (Read the Bible and see for yourself!)
- You will die for something, even if it is something worthless. The call is to die to self and live for Christ to commit yourself to the Lord who is worth dying for that may mean many different things but for each of us it will mean: obedience, faithfulness, joy and hope. We do not have a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love and self-control.
- People will be looking at you. Not me, not some busybody. Even if they do that doesnt count. I am not talking about them. I am talking about the cloud of witness. They are looking at you. Some of them are living, some are not. The witness of their lives is a memorial to us. An example of dedication to the Lord worth dying for.
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 28 May 2006
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin