REMEMBERING A FORGOTTEN PAST
Click here to listen to this sermon.
Restoration History #1
Please ask Chris Benjamin for permission before reproducing|
any of the images, graphics, or charts on this page.
Discovering Our Roots
- Roots: The Saga of an American Family -- Alex Haley's family story
- 1977 mini-series
- Increased interest in genealogy and history
- Unknown history
Do We Have a History?
The past should be consigned to the rubbish heap where Christ died! -- Barton W. Stone
Why Study Our History?
- Wisdom of Past Generations
- Understanding the Bible
- Understanding our Culture
- Understanding our Future
- Understanding Tradition
- The Road to the Future Leads through the Past
Tradition: Good or Bad?
- Empty traditions distract from the intent of God.
Matthew 15:1-6; Colossians 2:8
- Enriching traditions draw us to the intent of God.
1 Corinthians 11:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:15; 3:6
time changes things
- HAGIOGRAPHY - (Non-Critical)
- DECONSTRUCTION - (Over-Critical)
What is Restoration?
Unity is my polar star. -- Barton W. Stone
I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are oneas you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me. I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one.
-- Jesus Christ (John 17:20-22)
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 2 March 2008
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin