MY NAME IS PEACE
Click here to listen to this sermon.
Restoration History #13
Please ask Chris Benjamin for permission before reproducing|
any of the images, graphics, or charts on this page.
Issues and Labels
- Conservative and Liberal
- Traditional and Progressive
-- Angry Reactionaries
-- Cautious Moderates
-- Manipulative Change Agents
The Union of 1832
T. B. Larimore
- Born July 10, 1843
- East Tennessee
- Baptized 1864 in Hopkinsville, Kentucky
- Attended Franklin College in Nashville, Tennessee
Mars Hill Academy
- Florence, Alabama
- 1871 - 1887
- An influential evangelist and educator
- F. D. Srygley, Larimore and His Boys
The Issues - Then
- Instrumental Music in Worship
- Missionary Society
- Womens Roles
- Professional Ministers
Periodicals of 1870s
- Gospel Advocate, David Lipscomb
- American Christian Review, Ben Franklin
- Christian Standard, Isaac Erret
The Angel of Mercy, Love, Peace and Truth
I am for peace - my name is Peace - and no word of bitterness shall ever fall from my lips, even in self-defense.
- I can understand how it is possible for them to act correctly and still not always do exactly as I do.
- I love my brethren, and long, long ago solemnly resolved never to go to war ... against them.
I Belong to Christ
I have never belonged to a wing of the church or anything else. I belong to Christ, hence to the church of Christ - not to a wing of the church.
Time to Choose Sides
It is not best, in my humble judgment, to be silent when we see our fellow men, and especially our own family, drifting apart. Thousands of you friends believe you owe it to yourself , your family, your friends, your Saviour and your God to speak out on some matters now retarding the progress of the cause of Christ.
- Oscar P. Spiegel
I am sorry to disappoint any of my friends; but it is certainly clearly my duty to leave the discussion of all such questions to wiser, better, abler men and just simply PREACH THE WORD, avoiding, always, all questions that do gender strifes among the children of God.
- T. B. Larimore
Preaching the Word
- Baptized an estimated 10,000 during career.
- Recognized by Churches of Christ and Disciples.
- Both sides of the Movement gave him tribute following his death in March, 1929.
The Silence of Larimore
Larimore was in no sense a partisan, and he never spoke evil of any man, but he did have firm convictions.
- G. C. Brewer (1946)
The Golden Rule
I never call Christians or others antis, digressives, mossbacks, tackies, or trash. I concede to all, and accord to all, the same sincereity and courtesy I claim for myself, as the Golden Rule demands ...
- T. B. Larimore - (Gospel Advocate, 1917)
Peace and Unity
Of the seven things Solomon declares to be an abomination unto God, the crown of the climax is 'he that soweth discord among the brethren.'
- T. B. Larimore
Accept the Right, Reject the Left
The fact is that if everyone had had T. B. Larimores attitude, the problems would never have been blown up into divisive issues in the first place.
- Douglas Foster
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 22 June 2008
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin