Spiritual Success or Distress?
Quarter 2, Lesson 1
We Follow Jesus
Because Jesus Followed God
Texts: Psalm 123:1,2; John 5:19,20; 5:30; 6:35-40; 8:28,29; 12:44-50; 14:9-11
This fact produces a big Christian failing: we do not allow Jesus to show us how to serve God.
We let culture judge reasonable religious service. As culture changes, our concepts and
understandings of reasonable service change. We let society determine the standards of
reasonable religious service. As society changes, our concepts and understandings of
reasonable service change. We let the church define reasonable service. Leading men and
women in the congregation are often permitted to demand compliance to their concepts and
understandings of service.
These responsibilities reveal our biggest challenge. (1) Each Christian places Jesus on the
throne of his or her heart (1 Peter 3:14-16). Jesus alone is Lord. Jesus alone is in control of that
person. (2) Each Christian allows Jesus (not culture, society, or people of status in the
congregation) to teach him or her what it means to be God's servant. (3) Each Christian
understands how to be God's servant by keeping his or her eyes on Jesus.
Remember the concept of a servant.
Read Psalms 123:1,2.
- To whom did the psalmist lift up his eyes? Where was this One (verse 1)?
- In what manner did the psalmist look at God? To what do the eyes of a servant look (verse
Jesus, as God's good servant, never took his eyes off of God's hand.
Read John 5:19,20.
- Jesus could do nothing __________________________ (verse 19).
- The only thing Jesus did was what he saw __________________________ (verse 19).
- What did Jesus do "in like manner" (verse 19)?
- What was the bond between the Father and Son? What did the Father show Jesus (verse
Read John 5:30.
- What could Jesus not do [not because of inability, but because God's servant could not do
- What determined how Jesus judged? Why was Jesus' judgment just?
Read John 6:35-40.
- Because Jesus is the bread and water of life, the believer who comes to Jesus will not
______________ or ________________ (verse 35).
- Who would come to Jesus? What would Jesus not do to the believer who came (verse 37)?
- Why did Jesus come from heaven (verse 38)?
- What is the will of God (verse 39)?
- What is the will of the Father (verse 40)?
Read John 8:28,29.
- According to Jesus, when would they know that "I am He" (verse 28)?
- What two other things would then be known (verse 28)?
- Who was with Jesus? What did Jesus always do (verse 29)?
Read John 12:44-50.
- Faith in Jesus was also faith in whom (verse 44)?
- The person who saw Jesus saw whom else (verse 45)?
- Why did he come as light to the world (verse 46)?
- Jesus did not come to do what? Why did he come (verse 47)?
- Jesus' words (teachings) were not produced by what (verse 49)?
- Who commanded Jesus to say what he said, to speak what he spoke (verse 49)?
- Jesus said exactly what he was told to say by whom (verse 50)?
Read John 14:9-11.
- The person who saw Jesus also saw whom (verse 9)?
- What was the origin (the source) of Jesus' words and actions (verse 10)?
- What was the relationship between Jesus and the Father (verse 11)?
Jesus shows us how to serve God because he was God's perfect servant.
Link to Teacher's Guide Quarter 2, Lesson 1
Copyright © 2000
David Chadwell & West-Ark Church of Christ
previous page |
table of contents |