ESTHER - LESSON 5
READ CHAPTERS 7 & 8
- Again in the second feast, the king asked what Esther's request was. In your own words, tell how Esther answered the king. (7:1-4)
- Define annihilation.
- (Thought question) Why would Esther not have bothered the king if the Jews were just being sold as slaves?
- The king showed his surprise at Esther's revelation when he asked her who had brought this calamity upon her and her people. (7:5) What was her answer to him? (7:6)
- What was Haman's reaction? (7:6)
- The king was so angry he left the banquet hall and went for a walk in the palace gardens. What was Haman doing while the king took a walk? (7:7)
Is it not ironic that Haman is now bowing down before a lowly Jewess?
- Upon his return to the banquet hall, what compromising position did King Xerxes witness in Haman? (7:8)
- Chapter 7:9 (along with 4:7) shows just how fast palace "gossip" got around. It was only the night before that the gallows had been built. However, Harbonah - one of the king's eunuchs - not only knows about the gallows, but he also knows its size and purpose.
- What prompt decision did the king make when he heard of the gallows?
- What effect did Haman's hanging have on the king? (7:10)
- What happened to:
- Haman's estate? (8:1-2)
- The king's signet ring he had given to Haman? (8:2)
- Now that Esther and Mordecai were in the king's favor and Haman was out of the picture, why did she still risk her life once again by approaching the king? (8:3-6)
- Think of a time you have been involved in intervening on behalf of someone else. How did you feel? How did you overcome your fears? How did you grow from the experience?
- What did the king give Esther permission to do? (8:8)
- Why could he not just override his former edict? (8:7 & 8)
- A new decree was sent out with the good news that the Jews could fight and protect themselves against anyone who attacked them. (8:9-14)
- Who actually gave the orders for this new decree?
- Where was it sent?
- How was it made official?
- How fast was it sent out?
- (Thought questions)
- What is God's good news (gospel) for salvation today? (See I Corinthians 15:1-4)
- To whom is it extended? (See Matthew 28:19-20 and I Timothy 2:1-4)
- How is it to be carried? (See Romans 10:15 and II Corinthians 4:7)
- What are you doing to help get this Word out to others?
- Tell of the Jewish response to the new declaration. (8:15-17)
- What was the reaction of other nationalities in the land and why? (8:17)
- (Thought question) How does fear lead some to the Lord? (See Proverbs 1:7)
DEATH BRINGS THE NATION FROM THE BRINK OF DESTRUCTION.
Verse to ponder: Esther 7:10
The devil has prepared things to "hang" us.
Instead, hang the devil on his own gallows when you get sinful things out of your life!!!
Challenge: On the gallows below, list or draw some of the things you want to put to death on that gallows the devil has prepared for you.
Women IN God's Service
Esther - lesson 5
Copyright © 2003, 2004, West-Ark Church of Christ
Ladies Bible Class Lesson, 7 Oct 2003
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, Arkansas