CRISIS AND CONTROVERSY
Click here to listen to this sermon.
Restoration History #10
Please ask Chris Benjamin for permission before reproducing|
any of the images, graphics, or charts on this page.
- 1906 - 159,658
- 1916 - 317,937
- 1926 - 435,714
- 1936 - 309,551
- 1946 - 682,172
Aftermath of 1906
- Controversy was the only way to reach consensus without creeds or conventions
- Congregational division over various issues was common before 1930s
- Afraid to do anything for fear of doing something wrong
Trivia or Truth?
- Baptistery or Running River?
- A plate for the bread or not?
- Extend an invitation or wait for the question?
- Elders or no elders?
- Any song or just those addresses to the Lord?
The Sunday School Issue
- Opposition to Sunday Schools
- Unauthorized [silence of Scripture]
- Biblical pattern instructed parents to teach children
- 1925 - Directory of Non-Class churches assembled
- The Apostolic Way listed the faithful preachers and churches.
The Cup Question
- In the 1920s multiple containers for the communion became common
- At issue was the pattern of the Lords Supper prescribed in Scripture
- Multiple cups were unauthorized
- The one cup was an element of the communion pattern
- The faithful were listed in the Old Paths Advocate.
- R. H. Boll - 1915 Gospel Advocate articles
- Believed the prophetic sections of Scripture should be examined
- Was told to quit writing. He then started a new journal, Word and Work.
- H. Leo Boles, Pres. Nashville Bible School
- 1927 Boll-Boles debate in Gospel Advocate (May-November)
- After debate Boles invited Boll to speak at NBS Chapel service
- 1933 Neal-Wallace debate; Wallace suggested the issue threatened fellowship.
- Wallace not only condemned Boll, but also those he considered sympathetic with Boll.
- Criticism of Wallaces crusade
- J. N. Armstrong:
- Premillennialism was a personal conviction
- Minority view should be treated graciously
Dynamics of Division
- Focus on observable practice.
- List of the faithful
- No fellowship with error
- Methodology more important that theology
- One side opposes divergence from the pattern, the other is indifferent.
Accept the Right, Reject the Left
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Sermon, 11 May 2008
Link to next sermon
Link to other sermons of Chris Benjamin